Here's a recipe for Peanut Butter Balls. It's so good, Shriek House and I are going to found a 12 step program to deal with detox. After the holidays, of course. (Just one more, please!)
This is a recipe for Buckeyes, probably, but I'm not about to go getting all fussy with the toothpick in there and chocolate only half-way up and neither, apparently, was my mother--bless her soul--and so, we all get to say BALLS! during the holiday season. And I can think of no better homage to my mother than chocolate, peanut butter and saying BALLS! on a holiday. Really, you should have known her. She was a remarkable woman.
BUT if you are fuss-prone, or want the real deal, you can stick a toothpick in it (HA!) and dip the balls into the chocolate only part-way up.
All righty. Here we go. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Peanut Butter Balls (of heaven)
1 1/2 C. Peanut Butter (the recipe calls for creamy but I use chunky because I'm edgy like that)
1/2 C. Butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla
4 C. SIFTED Confectioner's Sugar
6 oz of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (HAHAHAHA! I used, like, the whole bag.)
2 TBSP Shortening (I use Earth Balance veggie shortening with no nasties but if you're into Crisco, do your thing.)
1. Line baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioner's sugar* with hands to form a smooth, stiff dough. (I'm going to avoid the mix-with-hands-to-make-it-stiff thing.) Shape into balls** and refrigerate.
3. Melt chocolate & shortening in a double boiler (I use a pyrex bowl over some simmering water) until smooth & remove from heat.
4. Submerge each ball into the chocolate and fish it out with two forks. Drain a little of the excess chocolate & return to waxed paper.
5. Chill 30 minutes to set.
6. Welcome to the dark side.
*Make sure that you SIFT the sugar BEFORE you MEASURE the sugar. 4 cups sifted is something like 3847765 cups unsifted. It will fuck up the balls, for REALZ.
**The recipe calls for 2 tsp per ball but I make them considerably smaller. Maybe 1 tsp. This is just my preference, as I like them 1-bite pop-ems, instead of 2-bite lick-the-melted-chocolate-off-your-fingers-at-a-party. But, whatever you like.